Thursday, August 2, 2007

I See Who You Are

Racism is not dead. I know that and I don't pretend that it no longer exists. I was born and raised in California, which is a very diverse state and probably is home to the largest Asian population in America. Therefore, I'm used to seeing faces of many different colors and I have friends who come from all races and background. Yes, there may be parts of the state that are still segregated whether it is intentional or not, but for the most part everyone is tolerant of each other.

I entered England thinking it was going to be a diverse country. And it is, but only in the major metropolitan areas. While Brighton can be aruged as one of those large metropolitan areas, I noticed the lack of minorities in the city. Brighton is a very affluent area, which may contribute to dominant white population. The minorities I do come across outside of campus in downtown are international students who, like me, are here for the summer studying. Most of them are European and few are Asian.

Now why am I going on and on about races and racism? Because sadly I have been a victim of several instances of racism. It's upsetting yet sad that I have to admit this. I have never experienced racism myself and was very shocked and very angry when the locals would be blatantly racists to my friends and me. Have they never seen an Asian before? We're not all Chinese you ignorant pigs. You have no right to point and gawk at us and speak to us in what you think is Chinese. No, we are not Jackie Chan's wife (yes, this one imbecile walked by us pointing at me and Jen and laughed "Jackie Chan's wife"). There was one instance in London this past weekend where Jen and Gaby were waiting for me to buy tea in Hyde Park. As I was walking back towards them, a local and his friend walk past Jen and ruffle her hair. As if she was a dog or something! I was outraged as was Gaby, who promptly called him a "fucking idiot."

My friends and I are not the only ones who have experienced this. Stella recounted several of her stories and it is along the same lines if not worse. I cannot believe the behavior of these people. We are here, visiting your country because we have a general interest for it and yet you treat us with disrepect and racism. Thanks for the wonderful and kind welcome England. I have been turned off towards this country sadly. I know not every English person I will come across is racist and I have met several wonderful people who were genuinely interested and excited to have American tourists. Unfortunately, whenever I think of England, I will recall the several racist incidents as well. I do not enjoy the feeling of apprehension that overcomes me whenever I enter downtown. I shouldn't be asking myself, "I wonder if some racist will insult me tonight?" I have a right to be there just like anyone else and I demand the same human respect. We're all humans and I know this sounds cheesy, but can't we all just get along? Can't we all just love one another for who we are?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ignorant pigs is right!

Stephanie said...

This post reminds me how important it is for us to remember that we are extremely fortunate (or has made us naive) to live in CA and have never experienced this type of racism. Living in two very diverse cities it's easy to forget that we are still in fact minorities. You also have to remember that this experience is part of traveling. It opens up your mind to how other countries think and act towards other people. Not only do you experience their culture and sites, you experience their prejudices and preconceived notions.

Aaron said...

hey samantha. racism is sad/pathetic/ignorant/ and just plain hatefull. i know you're probably angry, like the first time i experienced racism, but hey..keep your head up! don't let other people bring you down even the slightest bit. you know who you are & you know that you are more than just a race. so yeah keep your head up. you've got tons of people who support you! :)